Project: The Oaks, New Brunswick, NJ
Shingle Roof Replacement
Overview: The Oaks at North Brunswick consists of thirteen (13) two-story buildings. In 2013, Kipcon Inc. provided engineering specifications for replacing the roofs on three (3) buildings, continuing a project that was started several years ago. The existing steep-slope roofs consisted of a three-tab asphalt shingle. During Kipcon’s pre-design survey, it was determined that the existing shingles were failing due to premature aging of the shingles from poor attic ventilation. Proper ventilation design is an important criterion for a long-term performance of an asphalt shingle roof. Proper ventilation reduces heating and cooling costs, eliminates moisture and mold problems and is required by the roofing manufacturer to obtain the shingle warranty and is required by the N.J. Uniform Construction Code (NJUCC).
- Prepared specifications for the roof replacement, including ventilation and the gutters and downspouts.
- Solicited bids and performed contract negotiations with potential contractors to present to the Association.
- Provided construction administrative services.
- Kipcon, Inc. engineered a roofing system which could withstand designed wind speeds of 110 MPH and a Master Elite contractor was recommended to achieve a GAF 40-year Warranty.
- Kipcon, Inc. also played a key role in the Contract Administration of this project by chairing job progress meetings, reviewing shop drawings and performing periodic site inspections in making this a successful project.
For PDF file: The Oaks NB – Shingle Roof Replacement